The 4-P is a functionality that provides users the capability to add one time events as either additions or subtractions from the base demand plan of a given customer/item combination. We do not recommend using 4-P's for repeatable events such as holidays since the lift created by these events are repeatable and considered part of the normal seasonal cycle of demand.
Another benefit of the 4-P is that event, when planned, will also be removed from history automatically so that the one time shift in demand does not negatively affect the future forecast.
- Click S&OP
- Click 4-P
The primary menu options in the 4-P are:
- Excel: Download a summary of plans
- Add New: To add a new plan
- Plan Types: Different plan types for
Make Certain Plan Types are Created
A plan type may be a promotion, a new product launch, a price change, a new customer launch as examples. Make sure the plan type is descriptive enough to be helpful from a categorization standpoint. There is no limit to the number of plan types created.
- Click Plan Types
- Click Add-New
Create a New Plan
Click Add New to open the interface
- Enter Plan name
- Enter Plan type
- Enter Plan Status: There are 3 plan statuses:
- Concept: Is a new plan. Information is entered but the base demand plan to which the plan information is added is updated as the data and/or forecast are updated. At this point in the plan, any changes in Demand Planning such as user defined forecast overrides are reflected in the 4-P Planning context.
- Planning: The base demand plan context data gets frozen. The context in Demand Planning becomes read only for the selected 4-P periods.
- Executed: Pushes the 4-P Plan data to Demand Planning for execution. In the case of adding 4-P events in the past, the data is applied to next Pareto analysis. For example, a prior event may be identified in 4-P to remove the effects of the event on future demand plans. The event is not applied until it has been executed in 4-P and Pareto run.
- Start Data and End Date: Enter Start Date and End Date of the planned 4-P event. The period is dependent on the S&OP bucket size set up at the time of implementing DemandCaster. The option is either months or weeks.
- Notes: Enter any notes that provide a more descriptive explanation of the basis of the plan.
- Created by, Last edited by, and Approved by: Are updated as changes are made. These are tied to the user account of the person making the changes.
- Click save to save plan or you may click on the detail tab to automatically save the information entered.
If you are not sure what period you expect the event to be realized, add a buffer before and after the expected period so that the system will automatically remove the spike created by the event if it happens before or after the planned period.
The detail tab is where the user enters the specific context and item the plan is affecting. Currently, there are only two options: Customers and Items.
- Click on the selection button if not already enabled
- If selecting customer as your base first, you may enter one or many items by using the drop down and multiple selection option.
- If selecting item first, you may enter one or many customers by using the drop down and multiple selection option.
- Click Add Node to add
Enter Plan Lift Values - Simple Approach
The values may be additions or subtractions against the base demand plan in both units and selling price.
- In the example below, a lift of 2000 units was entered with a corresponding unit price decrease of $5.00. You are not required to enter a price decrease in a plan.
- Once entered, click save below the tabs 4-P tabs
- Alternatively, you may click on promotion detail to open more complex plan related options.
Adds additional entry values such as:
- Adjusting by percent
- Providing free goods
- View by different plan statuses applied against the item all in one view.
Change the Plan Status to Approve.
View the Plan against the Demand Plan
Click on the bread crumb in the detail view of the 4-P opens the demand plan view where the 4-P is applied.
Please note that if there is no 4-plan for an item within a particular customer context then there is no 4-P row visible. 4-P rows are only visible when applied to an item context. If there is a 4-P at the item level within a product category, for example, there will be 4-P row at a parent level.