This article describes the steps required to run a new item based forecast when S&OP add-on is not enabled. To learn how to run a requirement plan, read the article Running a New Requirement Plan (when S&OP IS NOT enabled)
Select Items to Forecast
- Use the different filter options in the Selection interface to filter and then select items to forecast and plan. You may also choose to plan all items in which case go to step 2.
- Click Select All, to select all the filtered items (or unfiltered if all items are to be run)
- You may also click on the check box next to the desired items to manually select one or a few items.
- Click "Run Analysis" to commence the forecast or requirement plan process for the selected items.
Apply Analysis Options
- Selection Criteria: A message is provided that shows the number of items that have been selected for analysis.
- Description: Name your analysis (recommended so that you can reference past analysis)
- Historical Period Selection: Default is 3 years. If there is less than three years available, DemandCaster will automatically apply the correct history period.
Calculate New Forecast / Safety Stock:
- Yes for both: If option is enabled a new forecast and safety stock will be generated for each item based on its settings.
- New Forecast Only: Generates a new forecast leaving the prior calculated safety stock the same.
- No: Only a requirement plan is generated. DemandCaster uses the prior calculated forecast and safety stock values for the item.
- Forecast Hierarchy Type: If you are forecasting items with BOM's you may choose to forecast only the parents without running an MRP process. This is done by selecting parents only. This makes for a faster analysis in a manufacturing setting. Because a BOM is relational, even if the user selects one finished goods (parent) to forecast and components that have shared parents will automatically drive forecast for the other finished goods the components demand is dependent upon.
- Click “Generate” to run the analysis.
Note: DemandCaster generates forecasts using DemandCasters best-fit statistical algorithms. In addition, here are some more rules related to this logic:
- If Forecast by Analogy is manually selected then it will remain in place for the next NEW forecast.
- When there is history of less than 6 months then the last 13 week average algorithm is applied
- The user may adjust the forecast type and settings within the forecast detail and forecast options of the item.
Automating the Forecasting Process
You may choose to automate the forecasting process at a frequency you desire using DemandCaster's Automation engine. We recommend running new forecasts at a frequency of 1 month or more depending on the lead time of your items. The longer the lead time, the lower the frequency. Read the article Automation in DemandCaster to learn how.