Follow

Split of Monthly Forecast into Weekly Buckets

This optional feature defines how to translate a monthly demand plan forecast into weekly buckets. This is helpful when monthly demand should be translate weekly in either a front or back loaded manner in a month.

This process is an alternate to the weighted distribution calculation process that is covered in the Demand and Supply Translation article.

Currently, this process is only supported via a destructive upload file.  This means that the new upload forces a delete on previously uploaded information so make sure when a new file is uploaded it retains the values that were previously uploaded or else they will be removed.

Underlying Logic

The tab delimited file that is uploaded is named PercentageSplit.txt. As stated above, the file is set up as destructive. Meaning that the new upload forces a delete on previously uploaded information.

There are no specific settings to be readjusted. The logic is written in such a way, that it first checks if there is a Customer Code and Item Code pair in the Database Table associated with the Percentage Split Upload. If there is, then the Percentage Split logic and Weekly Percent Values are used. If not, then the default Month to Week distribution engine is applied.

If there is a Quarter Percentage Split uploaded for a specific Customer Code and Item Code pair, then the specific quarterly division depends on the length of the month (number of days in a month) with the following logic daily logic.

  • In a 31 day calendar month the following month to week split is applied:
    • Week 1 will have 9 days
    • Week 2 will have 7 days
    • Week 3 will have 7 days
    • Week 4 will have 8 days
  • In a 30 day calendar month the following month to week split is applied:
    • Week 1 will have 8 days
    • Week 2 will have 7 days
    • Week 3 will have 7 days
    • Week 4 will have 8 days
  • In a 29 day calendar month the following month to week split is applied:
    • Week 1 will have 8 days
    • Week 2 will have 7 days
    • Week 3 will have 7 days
    • Week 4 will have 7 days
  • In a 28 day calendar month the following month to week split is applied:
    • Week 1 will have 7 days
    • Week 2 will have 7 days
    • Week 3 will have 7 days
    • Week 4 will have 7 days

Upload Format

There are 6 required columns in the PercentageSplit file. All months will follow the same split until a new file is uploaded.

  1. The first column defines the Item Code.
  2. The second column defines the Customer Code.
  3. The remaining four columns define the percentage weight value for each quarter. The columns are in order, starting with
    1. Week 1 and ending with week 4.
    2. The sum of the 4 weeks must always be 100, otherwise an error is thrown.

How are Forecasts Handled in Supply Planning with Lock Periods

The design takes into account allocating the demand around lock periods so that only working days receive demand.

For example, if the forecast for the month is 1000 and the split is 25% per week. Each week will get 25% of the demand allocated to the working days of the week. If the week has 5 days and is evenly split then each day gets 200/day. If the week is 4 working days, then each day gets 250/day.

There are, however, two exceptions to the rule:

  • If the week is locked, then the portion of demand that was to be allocated to that week is not allocated. As such, 1000 forecast will become 750 for the month. With the new Advanced Planning application, you will be able to work around this by editing the weekly forecast since both monthly and weekly editing are provided.
  • Same logic applies when the week split is uneven and one or more of the days are locked. So if a week has 60% of demand allocated on Monday and Monday is locked, the remaining days will receive 40% of the forecast demand. In this example, the remaining forecast will be 400 units allocated to the remaining days. Currently there is no way around adjusting for this.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request

Comments